Awesome Intentions for an Awesome New Year

Found via George Takei on Facebook here

Found via George Takei on Facebook here

It’s a new year and what a year it has been!

I started off the year planning on growing my business and creating a much different lifestyle for myself. Then in July that all got turned upside down when I attended the World Domination Summit and a special retreat filled with amazingly open minded people. After having all that openness and real honest conversations I realized I was SO unhappy with my business that something needed to be done. So in August I made the decision to step back from my business and re-evaluate my passions and how I could create a career around those instead of trying to be passionate about a business I really didn’t love whole heartily.

Once I stepped back I created this new blog where I could talk about my journey and whatever else I had running around in my head. I’ve had big ah-ha moments (here and here ) and discovered I had boobs on the outside of my home for the whole month of December. I also realized that homeschooling is something that is really exciting for me and I have been researching and developing a system over the past few months in the hopes of homeschooling my daughter, Sparkles, in the coming year!

Looking toward the new year I have a lot I still want to do and create and learn but resolutions have never been a good plan of attack for me. So instead of making a list of all the things I want to do I am taking a page from one of my favorite people, Michelle Ward, and answering four simple questions about how I want the new year to look.

If you’re interested, here’s a look back at my awesome intentions from previous years –  2010, 2011 and my Goal Binder from 2012)

1. If you were only allowed to have ONE Intention for 2013, what would it be & why?

Connection. As much as I want to discover more about myself and what I want to do with my life, I need to remember to pay attention to the people around me that I care about and love too. It is way too easy for me to shut myself off from the outside world and think that it’s totally ok and fun to sit alone every night when I could be setting up lunch dates or Skype chats with friends.

Those chats and meetups help me stay connected to the people I love but they also give me an energy boost to keep working on myself. As much as I want to be a one woman show, I know that I get a lot of my energy from other people and that is what I have been missing now that I spend most of my days at home with the girly. I love being home with her and I don’t think I would want a normal 9-5 type job now but I would like to have a conversation that doesn’t involve ponies or princesses just once a week.

2. If you were only allowed to have ONE Goal for 2013, what would it be & how can you achieve it?

Since my intention is to be more connected to my friends and family my goal to be more connected to myself might seem a bit contradictory. I want to continue on my path of figuring out my values and my real passions. So far I’ve come up with some great basic ones ; constant change, interaction with people, humor and writing have been some big ah-ha moments just in the past few months. I know that I still have some pieces to fit in place though so that I can find that one passion that I’ll want to turn into a career or even just a better lifestyle for me.

3. If you had to get rid of ONE Thing in 2013, what would it be & why?

Mindless web surfing (aka Facebook…). I know that I can’t get rid of Facebook or social media entirely because I need the connection with other people too much but I do need to start doing a better job for recognizing when I am really trying to catch up with friends and family and the times when I am just mindlessly clicking and scrolling to avoid washing the dishes…

4. If you had to do ONE New Thing in 2013, what would it be? Will you commit to it now?

More videos and pictures. I got some super cool gifts this Christmas which all seemed to revolve around taking pictures or taking video. I got not one, but two awesome tripods along with a mount for my cell phone! Hooray for ridiculous cell phone videos and/or photos! I also got an awesome new webcam so that now I won’t look like a grainy homemade sex movie every time I Skype or chat with someone! (Even though now some of the sexy may have be removed from my video conversations…)

Tripods FTW!

I have lots of other priorities for this year (being more spiritual, continuing to write everyday, working on staying healthy again, organizing, homeschooling…) but these are my tippy top must have goals and changes for this year.

I’d love to know what your intentions for this year are so if you want to share be sure to add a comment!

Big excitement is in store for this year, I can feel it! :)

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Kim says:

It’s funny because my husband and I were discussing homeschooling the other day! I’m still really far off considering that the baby is still in utero but it’s something I’m interested in learning about. I’m looking forward to hearing about it from you if you decide it’s right for you!

• Sara Carbaugh says:

I was really up in the air about it for some time but the more I think about it the more excited I get! I have so many fun ideas and it will just be a matter of seeing how she learns and such before we decide if it’s the right thing to do or not. Thankfully we have this bonus year before she would actually be starting Kindergarten so I like not feeling the pressure to make it perfect right out the gate! hehe

2. Andrea says:

Homeschooling is awesome! I am a classroom teacher (Kindergarten), but also help my friend homeschool her 3 kiddos and I love the flexibility, the fun, the way you can turn everything into a learning experience. And I love that her kids are still kids, playing and imagining, instead of worrying about hair and clothes and boys and being popular like their middle school attending peers. It’s amazing when kids can just be kids. Enjoy! :)

• Sara Carbaugh says:

I love hearing that your friends kids are still normal fun kids without all the boys/hair/popularity contests! I am SO looking forward to my daughter being awesome no matter what but I also love having the option of letting her grow up to be herself instead of what everyone in a school thinks she should be. :)

3. Dawnielle says:

This questionnaire is a great concept. I’ve rejected resolutions as a concept as well. I’m all about goals but resolutions always seem to be the same few things repeated year after year and with no real plan of attack or realism. And since when is any one year anything like the last?

Wishing you a fabulous 2013 filled with all the love, support and inspiration you’re looking for!

• Sara Carbaugh says:

I always want to make resolutions work out for me but I am WAY too hard on myself so I love having the freedom to pick a theme or an intention. And I totally agree that no two years are ever the same! I am sure you are going to have a fantabulous 2013 too babe!! Big hugs! :)

4. carol says:

The questions listed made me think about my own goals. They were simple and straight forward. Just answering those 4 things can create some really exciting change in your life. I chose a one word theme this year. Opportunity. We’ll see where it takes me. Good luck with all the things you really want to do this year!

5. Mamarific says:

Love the questionnaire…really gets to what’s important! You have some great goals for the year, and I wish you much luck in reaching them!

6. Facebook is an awful time suck. I’m terrible about it! When it starts to get bad I deactivate my account for a week. The extra time available after that is incredible!

7. Angie says:

Homeschooling is AMAZING, as long as parents and their children are invested in the process. My parents weren’t and neither was I, to be honest, but I did love learning and I did have an amazing opportunity that I wish I took hold of. Whenever Jen and I have children, we definitely plan on homeschooling them. Not only because of the bond, and the fact that you can take your time with your child, have them study below, average or above their level depending on what level they are at, etc. But you also don’t have to worry about bullying, violence of any sort, bad teachers… The list goes on. I really am proud and admire good teachers, but I experienced, and Jen has experienced, and we’ve heard stories of awful, scary teachers and it’s horrible.

ALL of your goals are fabulous!

Happy 2013!

8. Love the idea of focusing on connection in 2013 and the different ways it applies. Man, I wish that I could let go of the mindless web surfing too and social media addiction! It’s definitely on my list of things to focus on this year.