Movie Night: Mirror, Mirror

I decided to have a girl’s night since my husband was working a double shift and it was just the girly and me for the night. I dediced to try and do a movie night with something other than a cartoon to see how she would like it. I had wanted to see Mirror, Mirror when it came out so I was excited to find it on Netflix! I was also pleasantly surprised/relieved that this was actually pretty adorable!

Not to give away spoilers but it’s basically the Snow White story with a few artistic differences. The Queen (Julia Roberts) is beautiful but a completely horrible and vain person who has taken over the kingdom. She keeps Snow White (Lily Collins) locked in her room until her 18th birthday. Once Snow turns 18 she finally gets the guts to sneak out into the town.  Now she finally sees that the Queen has been ruining the kingdom by spending all of her money and the townspeople’s money on lavish parties and “treatments” to keep herself beautiful. (There’s a scene where she gets her beauty treatment done and I had to close my eyes because it was super gross!)

There’s a hunky Prince and obviously the seven dwarves, but maybe not the dwarves you would be expecting: Napoleon (my favorite), Half Pint, Grub, Grimm, Wolf, Butcher and Chuckles. They all have fun personalities and help Snow White find herself, fight the Queen and get the guy.

Upside:

The Queen’s costumes were ridiculous and ginormous and I loved everything about them! I also loved that Snow White was an adorable bad ass. None of this wimpy princess stuff, which is the way I prefer my princess movies.

Downside:

My daughter wasn’t super thrilled about it but again she’s not too thrilled about live action movies yet. She’s still in the “I want talking animals all day, everyday” phase. She did tell me she liked Snow White though “She’s pretty mommy!” and she thought the Queen was “really mean.” so at least she got the gist of the story.

I would recommend Mirror, Mirror to anyone who wants a whimsical, fairytale romp but maybe not the best choice for a 4 year old yet.

4/5 Red Apples

Pink Lady (apple), April 2012Pink Lady (apple), April 2012Pink Lady (apple), April 2012Pink Lady (apple), April 2012

(FYI, there are Amazon affiliate links in the post so I appreciate you using them and helping me and my Doctor Who merchandise addiction out.)

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Tab Carson says:

Tarsem Singh directed this film and all of his movies are visually gorgeous and have incredibly rich colors. I really recommend The Fall, which is also on Netflix Instant. It’s more of an adult film, but has a lot of the same fairy tale elements. http://youtu.be/iO0LYcCoeJY

• Sara Carbaugh says:

Wow! That movie looks awesome! And it has Lee Pace in it from Pushing Daisies! Totally have to see this one. Thanks for the heads up! :)

• Tab Carson says:

I am SO happy you’re a Pushing Daisies fan! I love Lee Pace – I wish he was in more stuff. I did hear that he’s one of the best parts of the new Twilight movie, so I may have to break down and borrow it from my stepsister when it comes out on DVD.

• Sara Carbaugh says:

Oh yes, Pushing Daisies FTW! I was SO sad when they cancelled it. I totally didn’t realize he was in the new Twilight movie! Now I’m going to have to see that one… I loved the Twilight books (don’t judge me…) but I have NOT been a fan of the movies at all.

• Tab Carson says:

I never judge reading choices! I just say read! I wasn’t a fan, but I also didn’t get into Harry Potter and I still haven’t read the Hunger Games books. I wasn’t a fan of the Twilight movies either, but I’ve even heard non Twilight fans say that the newest flick is pretty entertaining.

2. Sheryl says:

There is a book, I swear, called “Mirror Mirror” that is a mother daughter author pair reading fairy tales together. Imma look it up quick… http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1722143.Mirror_Mirror
    It’s good you should read it. Alexis and I did a few years back. Also, she says “imma” isn’t a word and I should fix it – but I don’t take orders from kids who pretend not to remember books we read together.

• Sara Carbaugh says:

Ooo that looks like such a cool book! What age did you gals read it together? I might have to get this and save it for when she gets just a tad bit older. Oh and tell Alexis she’s right, “imma” isn’t a word but her mother is always right so she should add it to her list of go to words to annoy her teachers. ;)