DIY: Ruby Gloom’s Mr Buns

We recently got rid of cable so Aerith and I have been spending a lot of time on Netflix discovering new and awesome shows. One of those shows is Ruby Gloom. Maybe one of my new favorite cartoons ever! Ruby Gloom is the “happiest girl in the world” and she lives in a gothic mansion with some adorably awesome other characters! (My

In one episode Ruby creates a “special one of a kind friend” named Mr. Buns! Here’s a clip:

Since  I love this show and I really love my daughter I decided to womp one up for her using this tutorial I found online. Here are some pics of my process!

I had a black sock that didn’t have a mate so I was like “Score!” I cut off the top of the sock above the heel. Then I folded it over and sewed it down so that I couldn’t see the seam.

I cut out the face and the eyes from some felt and used my handy dandy hot glue gun to apply them to the sock.

Then I cut out two ears, arms and legs out of felt and sewed them on. I just free form cut them using the picture as a guide.

Tada! Meet Mr. Buns! I hope he makes my little girl smile because I’m pretty excited about how awesome he turned out!

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Gabriella says:

Is it bad that I didn’t even know who this character was? But, you did such an amazing job, Sara!

• Sara Carbaugh says:

That’s ok I didn’t know anything about Ruby Gloom before we got rid of cable! Now we’ve watched the whole series on Netflix and are kind of addicted to it, even though it’s been off the air for years! hehe

2. Rachel says:

I hope he did make your little girl smile, because I casually left the picture of your Mr. Buns open near *my* little girl and she went bananas. “WHat?! That’s Mr. Buns!!!” So, yeah. Good job!

3. Tab Carson says:

This is so freakin’ cute! Love Ruby Gloom! I discovered it the same way – we got rid of cable and were just watching random things on Netflix. Just popped by to say LOVE your blog and thanks for checking out mine!

• Sara Carbaugh says:

Hooray for finding awesome stuff by accident!! :) I really loved your blog too so I’m excited to hear it’s a mutual love fest! hehe :)

4. Kaliegh says:

QUESTION! When you’re sewing on the legs and arms, exactly how did you do it? Hand-sew, or machine? If machine, did you try and hide the stitching? I’m afraid it’s going to show and look awful!

• Sara Carbaugh says:

I just hand sewed everything because it really wasn’t much sewing and it was easier than getting in there with the machine. I wouldn’t worry too much about hiding the stitches. I sewed the arms up in the side seam and used black thread so you can’t really see the joins on mine.